Whether you are growing apples, peaches, cherries, or plums, this is a recipe for an organic late spring orchard foliar spray. Learn to spray holistic and organically in order to keep away from pesticides, herbicides, and other nasty toxins. This spray will feed the plant, the soil, and healthy microorganisms. This method works both on the small or larger scales, and will prevent / treat a multitude of bad fungus, insects, and blights. Not to mention, this incredible spray will help feed the “good guys” and healthy microorganisms within your food forest or orchard. Get ready to kick some butt with this one.
What you’ll need:
- 5 Gallon backpack sprayer (or a smaller one will do, but amount will need to be adjusted accordingly)
- Emulsified fish / kelp (I use Neptune’s Harvest brand) = This helps give nutrients to the leaves, nitrogen to the stems, and feed microorganisms and healthy bacteria.
- Liquified Mushroom inoculant (Mushroom Stuff by Earthright is often readily available) = Feeds the soil and increases mycorrhizal activity in the soil.
- Compost Tea (CLICK HERE for my recipe) = It’s all the nutrients, minerals, and food your plants needs to kick butt.
- Neem Oil (concentrate is fine, but always best to order online because greenhouses will charge an arm and a leg) = helps get rid of the bad bugs, treat blights, etc.
- Free & Clear Dish Soap (I use 7th Generation) = serves to mix all the ingredients together, especially the neem oil into the other water-based additives.
Easy Steps for an Organic Late Spring Orchard Foliar Spray
- Add 10 tablespoons of emulsified fish / kelp
- Add 8 tablespoons of Mushroom Stuff
- Add 10 tablespoons of compost tea
- Add 8 tablespoons of neem oil
- Add 3 tablespoons of soap (to help it all blend together)
- Fill the backpack sprayer up with water. Use higher water pressure or move the hose around inside as it sprays to mix the ingredients well in the tank. Bubbles from the soap are normal – just make sure it’s all mixed well, otherwise you’ll need to get out a whisk.
- Close the sprayer and strap up. Give it a few pumps so you are ready to go.
- Spray leaves, branches, trunk, and soil around the drip line of the tree. It’s best to do this in the morning, so it can dry out during the day. Ideally, you want to spray on a cooler day, otherwise it will “cook” the nutrients. I like to do it on a day when it’s supposed to rain 2-3 days later, because then the nutrients get washed into the soil as well.
- Clean out your backpack sprayer by rinsing it out and then filling it back up 1/2 way and swishing it out. I clean it out a second time and run clean water through the sprayer a bit to keep the nozzle clear. This will really extend the life of your sprayer.
Good luck and happy orcharding! Let’s get cracking on these food forests!
Leave a comment below if you have some great orchard spraying tips for those of use looking to keep it organic and holistic.
Like what you are reading there? Maybe you should read our article on what else you should be doing in your garden in early June? Get ready to become a dirt ninja…
11 Replies to “Late Spring Orchard Foliar Spray”
Pretty nice post. I really came across your blog and wanted to express that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your
blog site posts. Regardless I’ll be subscribing in your
feed and i also hope you write again soon!
Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this site regularly, this website is genuinely
good and the visitors are actually sharing pleasant thoughts.
I am going to immediately grab your rss because i cannot
find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service.
Do you’ve any? Please allow me recognise in order that I may subscribe.
“Hello Admin! Thanks for this article, very good information, I will be_ forwarding this to some friends, if you’re ok with that. Greetings from Germany!”
This is a topic that is near to my heart…
Thank you! Where are your contact details though?
Can I just say such a relief to seek out somebody that truly knows what theyre referring to on the net. You definitely have learned to bring an issue to light and work out it critical. More and more people must look at this and understand this side from the story. I cant believe youre no more popular since you certainly provide the gift.
Comments are closed.